- ABOUT US
- Rights of Springs
Exploring Principles of Earth Jurisprudence at St. Thomas University and Barry University Law Schools
- Lance Cornick, “Plant Genetic Resources: Restoring the Common Heritage of Humankind”
- Ryan Price, “Habitat Status: Endangered-Reconsidering ‘Critical Habitat’ and the ‘Unoccupied Areas’ Provision of the Endangered Species Act”
- Sherlyn Bartee, “In RE: Tri State Water Rights Litigation-Guardian Ad Litem Brief for the Nonhuman Interests”
- Julie Perry, “Planning with Room to Grow: Community Gardens as Part of the Urban Landscape”
- Liz Parker, “Investing in or Wreaking Further Destruction upon Nature? Valuation of Ecosystem Services from an Earth Jurisprudence Perspective”
- Clayton Boyette, “Preserve Florida’s Groundwater with Earth Jurisprudence”
- Christopher Brown, “Can We Co Exist: The Dilemma of the Gray Wolf”
- Covington Campbell, “Effecting a Sea Change: Changing Tack to Heal the Wounds of African Piracy”
- Karen Greene, “The Wekiva: Recognizing the Rights of a River”
- Meredith Hall, “Applying Earth Jurisprudence to Bring Harmony to the Great Lakes”
- Elizabeth Parker, “Detoxifying the Food We Eat: Accountability Using the Precautionary Principle”
- Sarah Schwemin, “What if We Could Sue the Hurricanes? The Necessity of Recognizing the Rights of Natural Entities”
Below, please find class papers from the inaugural two-credit seminar on Earth Jurisprudence offered at Barry University School of Law in the spring semester of 2007. These students are true explorers of new frontiers.
Sr. Pat Siemen on Rights of Nature at TEDxJacksonville 2013View video full screen on YouTube.
Florida’s Water and Land LegacyCongratulations to all who are working diligently and passionately in support of Amendment 1 on the November 2014 ballot. More than 960,000 voters signed petitions to place The Florida Water and Land Conservation Amendment on the ballot. Learn more about Amendment 1 at VoteYeson1FL.org.
CEJ Events & PresentationsHidden Springs Paddle
Saturday, October 4, 2014
(note new date)
Spend a morning kayaking on the Wekiva River with award-winning nature writer Bill Belleville and experience the waters and wildlife of one of Central Florida's treasures. RSVP required. Contact jmarsden (at) barry.edu for more information.
The Myth & Magic of Florida Springs
Wednesday, January 28, 2015
Spring Field Trip
Saturday, April 25, 2015
Building an Earth Democracy: Protecting the Rights of Mother Earth & Humanity
February 2-6, 2015
Doon Valley, Dehradun, India
Join Dr. Vandana Shiva, PhD, Dr. Mira Shiva, MD, and Sister Patricia Siemen, OP, JD for a residential workshop at Navdanya's Earth University to examine the Rights of Mother Earth, and the customs and laws that protect all inhabitants' rights of exist, regenerate, and thrive.
Contact: Dr. Vinod Bhatt - vinod (at) navdanya.net or Patricia Siemen - psiemen (at) barry.edu
Discover more at Navdanya.org.
Other EventsMarjorie Harris Carr: Defender of Florida's Environment
Thursday, September 16, 2014
Preserve Brevard and Friends of the Carr Refuge present author Peggy Macdonald and her brand new biography of pioneering environmentalist Marjorie Harris Carr. Find out more and register for this FREE event at MarjorieCarr.EventBrite.
Save the Date!
Public Interest Environmental Conference
February 12-14, 2015
Details coming soon!
Learning to See Naturally ~ Nature Journaling WorkshopsVisit our nature journaling blog, Learning to See Naturally, for poems, photos, stories and other nature-inspired creative works from our workshop participants.
Tag Cloudadvocacy belonging climate change climate justice community culture earth Earth jurisprudence ecological justice Ecology ethic events Florida future generations history Lagoons & Estuaries Pat's Blog publications public trust resiliency Rights of Nature Rob Williams springs sustainability team water Wild Law words
- Rethinking the energy system: The potential of distributed energy September 19, 2014Off Featured on Program Area Page: Off Featured on Homepage - Current Project Block: Off Featured on Homepage - Featured Research Block: Off AttachmentSize rethinkingtheenergysystemochslima140915final-140916083045-phpapp02.pdf2.83 MB […]Gaelle Gourmelon
- Rethinking the energy system: The potential of distributed energy September 19, 2014