- ABOUT US
- Rights of Springs
Exploring Principles of Earth Jurisprudence at St. Thomas University and Barry University Law Schools
- Lance Cornick, “Plant Genetic Resources: Restoring the Common Heritage of Humankind”
- Ryan Price, “Habitat Status: Endangered-Reconsidering ‘Critical Habitat’ and the ‘Unoccupied Areas’ Provision of the Endangered Species Act”
- Sherlyn Bartee, “In RE: Tri State Water Rights Litigation-Guardian Ad Litem Brief for the Nonhuman Interests”
- Julie Perry, “Planning with Room to Grow: Community Gardens as Part of the Urban Landscape”
- Liz Parker, “Investing in or Wreaking Further Destruction upon Nature? Valuation of Ecosystem Services from an Earth Jurisprudence Perspective”
- Clayton Boyette, “Preserve Florida’s Groundwater with Earth Jurisprudence”
- Christopher Brown, “Can We Co Exist: The Dilemma of the Gray Wolf”
- Covington Campbell, “Effecting a Sea Change: Changing Tack to Heal the Wounds of African Piracy”
- Karen Greene, “The Wekiva: Recognizing the Rights of a River”
- Meredith Hall, “Applying Earth Jurisprudence to Bring Harmony to the Great Lakes”
- Elizabeth Parker, “Detoxifying the Food We Eat: Accountability Using the Precautionary Principle”
- Sarah Schwemin, “What if We Could Sue the Hurricanes? The Necessity of Recognizing the Rights of Natural Entities”
Below, please find class papers from the inaugural two-credit seminar on Earth Jurisprudence offered at Barry University School of Law in the spring semester of 2007. These students are true explorers of new frontiers.
Sr. Pat Siemen on Rights of Nature at TEDxJacksonville 2013View video full screen on YouTube.
Florida’s Water and Land LegacyCongratulations to all who are working diligently and passionately in support of Amendment 1 on the November 2014 ballot. More than 960,000 voters signed petitions to place The Florida Water and Land Conservation Amendment on the ballot. Learn more about Amendment 1 at VoteYeson1FL.org.
CEJ Events & Presentations
Save the Dates!
Fall Field Trip
Saturday, September 27, 2014
The Myth & Magic of Florida Springs
Wednesday, January 28, 2015
Spring Field Trip
Saturday, April 25, 2015
Building an Earth Democracy: Protecting the Rights of Mother Earth & Humanity
February 2-6, 2015
Doon Valley, Dehradun, India
Join Dr. Vandana Shiva, PhD, Dr. Mira Shiva, MD, and Sister Patricia Siemen, OP, JD for a residential workshop at Navdanya's Earth University to examine the Rights of Mother Earth, and the customs and laws that protect all inhabitants' rights of exist, regenerate, and thrive.
Contact: Dr. Vinod Bhatt - vinod (at) navdanya.net or Patricia Siemen - psiemen (at) barry.edu
Discover more at Navdanya.org.
Other EventsUp the River Downtown
Saturday, August 23, 2014
A 10K open water swim, kayak flotilla, and bicycle ride focused on the St. Johns River, hosted by JumpingFish.
Contact: Info (at) JumpingFish.net
or (904) 673-4549
Learn more at JumpingFish.net.
Choosing our Legacy: Understanding Amendment 1
Thursday, August 28, 2014
6 p.m. - Music by The Ashley Gang
6:30 p.m. - Program
Gleason Performing Arts Center - FIT
Learn how Amendment 1 can protect rivers, lakes and streams, restore natural treasure, and preserve our beaches and shores. Speakers include former U.S. Senator and Florida Governor Bob Graham, environmental attorney Clay Henderson, and local business owner and 5th generation Floridian Laurilee Thompson. Hosted by Preserve Brevard.
Discover more and register for this FREE event at Choosing our Legacy.
3rd Annual Adena Protest Flotilla & Benefit
Saturday, September 13, 2014
Ocala Boat Club at Ray Wayside Park
Silver Springs, FL
The Water Protection Fund hosts a downstream paddle/float from Silver Springs to the park for an afternoon of live music, games, food and solidarity. Flotilla launches at 1 p.m. from Silver Springs State Park.
Contact: ahlers.karen (at) gmail.com
or (352) 546-3560
More info available at Water-First.org.
Learning to See Naturally ~ Nature Journaling WorkshopsVisit our nature journaling blog, Learning to See Naturally, for poems, photos, stories and other nature-inspired creative works from our workshop participants.
Tag Cloudadvocacy belonging climate change climate justice community culture earth Earth jurisprudence ecological justice Ecology ethic events Florida future generations history Lagoons & Estuaries Pat's Blog publications public trust resiliency Rights of Nature Rob Williams springs sustainability team water Wild Law words
- Peak Meat Production Strains Land and Water Resources August 22, 2014New Worldwatch analysis examines global trends in meat production, prices, and practicesFor Immediate Release: August 26, 2014 | CONTACT GAELLE GOURMELONNotes to Editors: Journalists may obtain a complimentary copy of "Peak Meat Production Strains Land and Water Resources" by contacting Gaelle Gourmelon at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please spec […]Gaelle Gourmelon
- Peak Meat Production Strains Land and Water Resources August 22, 2014