- ABOUT US
- Rights of Springs
Exploring Principles of Earth Jurisprudence at St. Thomas University and Barry University Law Schools
- Lance Cornick, “Plant Genetic Resources: Restoring the Common Heritage of Humankind”
- Ryan Price, “Habitat Status: Endangered-Reconsidering ‘Critical Habitat’ and the ‘Unoccupied Areas’ Provision of the Endangered Species Act”
- Sherlyn Bartee, “In RE: Tri State Water Rights Litigation-Guardian Ad Litem Brief for the Nonhuman Interests”
- Julie Perry, “Planning with Room to Grow: Community Gardens as Part of the Urban Landscape”
- Liz Parker, “Investing in or Wreaking Further Destruction upon Nature? Valuation of Ecosystem Services from an Earth Jurisprudence Perspective”
- Clayton Boyette, “Preserve Florida’s Groundwater with Earth Jurisprudence”
- Christopher Brown, “Can We Co Exist: The Dilemma of the Gray Wolf”
- Covington Campbell, “Effecting a Sea Change: Changing Tack to Heal the Wounds of African Piracy”
- Karen Greene, “The Wekiva: Recognizing the Rights of a River”
- Meredith Hall, “Applying Earth Jurisprudence to Bring Harmony to the Great Lakes”
- Elizabeth Parker, “Detoxifying the Food We Eat: Accountability Using the Precautionary Principle”
- Sarah Schwemin, “What if We Could Sue the Hurricanes? The Necessity of Recognizing the Rights of Natural Entities”
Below, please find class papers from the inaugural two-credit seminar on Earth Jurisprudence offered at Barry University School of Law in the spring semester of 2007. These students are true explorers of new frontiers.
Sr. Pat Siemen on Rights of Nature at TEDxJacksonville 2013View video full screen on YouTube.
Florida’s Water and Land LegacyCongratulations to all who are working diligently and passionately in support of Amendment 1 on the November 2014 ballot. More than 960,000 voters signed petitions to place The Florida Water and Land Conservation Amendment on the ballot. Learn more about Amendment 1 at VoteYeson1FL.org.
CEJ Events & PresentationsReflecting Florida: How Agriculture, Art & Activism Shape Our State
Sunday, October 19, 2014
11 a.m. - 6 p.m.
East End Market
Join Florida’s most dynamic authors for a day celebrating the people, food and culture that make our state unique. Explorers, photographers, writers, poets, historians, naturalists, and chefs combine for a day focused on Florida. FREE panel discussions, author presentations, and book signings will culminate in a 5 p.m. happy hour (cash bar) and a 6 p.m. reception featuring local foods and noted author Bill Belleville (ticketed fundraiser for Amendment 1. More information available at Reflecting Florida.
The Myth & Magic of Florida Springs
Wednesday, January 28, 2015
Spring Field Trip
Saturday, April 25, 2015
Building an Earth Democracy: Protecting the Rights of Mother Earth & Humanity
February 2-6, 2015
Doon Valley, Dehradun, India
Join Dr. Vandana Shiva, PhD, Dr. Mira Shiva, MD, and Sister Patricia Siemen, OP, JD for a residential workshop at Navdanya's Earth University to examine the Rights of Mother Earth, and the customs and laws that protect all inhabitants' rights of exist, regenerate, and thrive.
Contact: Dr. Vinod Bhatt - vinod (at) navdanya.net or Patricia Siemen - psiemen (at) barry.edu
Discover more at Navdanya.org.
Other EventsSave the Date!
Public Interest Environmental Conference
February 12-14, 2015
Details coming soon!
Learning to See Naturally ~ Nature Journaling WorkshopsVisit our nature journaling blog, Learning to See Naturally, for poems, photos, stories and other nature-inspired creative works from our workshop participants.
Tag Cloudadvocacy belonging climate change climate justice community culture earth Earth jurisprudence ecological justice Ecology ethic events Florida future generations history Lagoons & Estuaries Pat's Blog publications public trust resiliency Rights of Nature Rob Williams springs sustainability team water Wild Law words
- Energy Democracy: Bringing Power to the People October 8, 2014PRESS RELEASE | Contact GAELLE GOURMELON | For release: Wednesday, October 8, 2014Notes to Editors: To schedule interviews, obtain a review copy of State of the World 2014 or for more information, please contact Gaelle Gourmelon at firstname.lastname@example.org.About the Worldwatch Institute: Worldwatch is an independent research organization based in Washington […]Gaelle Gourmelon
- Energy Democracy: Bringing Power to the People October 8, 2014