- ABOUT US
- Rights of Springs
Exploring Principles of Earth Jurisprudence at St. Thomas University and Barry University Law Schools
- Lance Cornick, “Plant Genetic Resources: Restoring the Common Heritage of Humankind”
- Ryan Price, “Habitat Status: Endangered-Reconsidering ‘Critical Habitat’ and the ‘Unoccupied Areas’ Provision of the Endangered Species Act”
- Sherlyn Bartee, “In RE: Tri State Water Rights Litigation-Guardian Ad Litem Brief for the Nonhuman Interests”
- Julie Perry, “Planning with Room to Grow: Community Gardens as Part of the Urban Landscape”
- Liz Parker, “Investing in or Wreaking Further Destruction upon Nature? Valuation of Ecosystem Services from an Earth Jurisprudence Perspective”
- Clayton Boyette, “Preserve Florida’s Groundwater with Earth Jurisprudence”
- Christopher Brown, “Can We Co Exist: The Dilemma of the Gray Wolf”
- Covington Campbell, “Effecting a Sea Change: Changing Tack to Heal the Wounds of African Piracy”
- Karen Greene, “The Wekiva: Recognizing the Rights of a River”
- Meredith Hall, “Applying Earth Jurisprudence to Bring Harmony to the Great Lakes”
- Elizabeth Parker, “Detoxifying the Food We Eat: Accountability Using the Precautionary Principle”
- Sarah Schwemin, “What if We Could Sue the Hurricanes? The Necessity of Recognizing the Rights of Natural Entities”
Below, please find class papers from the inaugural two-credit seminar on Earth Jurisprudence offered at Barry University School of Law in the spring semester of 2007. These students are true explorers of new frontiers.
Sr. Pat Siemen on Rights of Nature at TEDxJacksonville 2013View video full screen on YouTube.
Amendment 1 – Florida’s Water and Land LegacyCongratulations to all who worked so hard in support of Amendment 1 on the November 2014 ballot, which passed with 75% of votes in favor. The measure will dedicate about $1 billion annually for conservation purposes.
CEJ Events & PresentationsThe Myth & Magic of Florida Springs
featuring Margaret Ross Tolbert and Rick Kilby
Wednesday, January 28, 2015
A Rights of Nature Approach for Springs Protection
Jane Goddard and Rob Williams
Thursday, January 29, 2015
Santa Fe River Springs Protection Forum
Otter Springs, Trenton, FL
Building an Earth Democracy: Protecting the Rights of Mother Earth & Humanity
February 2-6, 2015
Doon Valley, Dehradun, India
Join Dr. Vandana Shiva, PhD, Dr. Mira Shiva, MD, and Sister Patricia Siemen, OP, JD for a residential workshop at Navdanya's Earth University to examine the Rights of Mother Earth, and the customs and laws that protect all inhabitants' rights of exist, regenerate, and thrive.
Contact: Dr. Vinod Bhatt - vinod (at) navdanya.net or Patricia Siemen - psiemen (at) barry.edu
Discover more at Navdanya.org.
Spring Field Trip
Saturday, April 25, 2015
October 31 - December 5, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Poet Terri Witek and visual artist Cyriaco Lopes collaborate to create a soundscape performance that combines poems with photographs on fabric, physically and philosophically investigating their home waters. Visit the Flagler College website for more information.
Save the Date!
Public Interest Environmental Conference
February 12-14, 2015
Details coming soon!
Save the Date!
Environmental and Earth Law Summit
April 9, 2015
Barry University School of Law
Details coming soon!
Learning to See Naturally ~ Nature Journaling WorkshopsVisit our nature journaling blog, Learning to See Naturally, for poems, photos, stories and other nature-inspired creative works from our workshop participants.
Tag Cloudadvocacy belonging climate change climate justice community culture earth Earth jurisprudence ecological justice Ecology ethic events Florida future generations history Lagoons & Estuaries Pat's Blog publications public trust resiliency Rights of Nature Rob Williams springs sustainability team water Wild Law words
- Media Advisory: 25 November Launch: Worldwatch Report Describes Opportunities for a Bright Energy Future in Haiti November 19, 2014MEDIA ADVISORY: 19 November 2014Worldwatch Report Describes Opportunities for a Bright Energy Future in HaitiGlobal Launch Set for 25 November Washington, D.C.—A new report by the Worldwatch Institute, in partnership with Haiti’s Bureau of the Minister Delegate to the Prime Minister for Energy Security, outlines the interconnected technical, socioeconomic, a […]Gaelle Gourmelon
- Media Advisory: 25 November Launch: Worldwatch Report Describes Opportunities for a Bright Energy Future in Haiti November 19, 2014